There are two old great features that can achieve Active/Active in multi-chassis:
- mLACP: ASR9k support, and by ICCP.
- NV Cluster: only ASR9k support, not need other protocol (e.g ICCP), but not support from 6.x.
So could we have the similar solution on NCS55xx? The answer is “Yes”, we can deploy EVPN + Anycast IRB to achieve the similar function. For this article, no reference to real EVPN environment, only use multi-home A/A EVPN function. And include testing when link failure.
- If you deploy EVPN + Any IRB, you must to know there are no dynamic IGP protocol between CE/mPE or Host/mPE, only Static or default GW. That due to we couldn’t deploy the same IGP process at two chassis. That should different with NV Cluster. As follow:
- Due to deploy EVPN that belong to BGP, so we need underlay protocol that can be achieved by LDP or Segment Routing. In this example, will deploy Segment Routing.
- Traffic(via EVPN) will not forward to the link between two PEs, so no need to deploy inter-link. Except customer has other L3 business in the same PEs.